A Daunting Task; or Not…
The replacement of the rubber gasket in our sink always seemed like a major pain in the you know what. Our lovely cats took a liking to the splash guard in the sink, and for whatever weird reason liked to chew on it when they were kittens. The time to replace the gasket has long past!
We hit the internet of course, looking for resources and parts. The first stop was to Amazon, and we picked up the gasket there. A whopping $8. (Eric opened the package before he shot a photo :p)
As it turns out, this project only needs one screwdriver as a prying tool. Are you kidding me?! We put this off for fear of having to completely remove the disposal, and it was totally unwarranted.
We started off by stacking a support underneath the unit, so the weight would not rest on the piping connected to it. We only needed to lower the disposal about two inches, and disconnecting the sewer lines seemed way overkill. The photo above is after the quick release ring is clocked 90 degrees clockwise, and the unit is completely free and resting on our scaffold.
A quick pry with our screwdriver released the old gasket, and we stretched the new one into place. We lifted the unit up towards the sink, and aligned the tabs of the locking ring. Then turn back counterclockwise until the ring seats home. You are effectively done with the repair.
Looking from the business end, good as new! Not too many projects can be five minute jobs, but this one certainly fit that mold. Thank goodness :D, one more item crossed off the to do list.