Our Casablanca Bel Air Halo fan stopped working a month ago. The cool weather helped delay tackling the repair that helps moderate temperatures in this room. Where to start? Take down the fan of course!
Dust, dust and more dust. Apparently no one cleans the top of the fan :p Always an optimist, we hoped that a good dusting was all this unit needed to put back in service. If you recall this post Project Gone Awry, you will know the pain that was endured to get this fan in the first place. One thing left out of the last post: after the motor was warrantied, a persistent electrical smell lasted for a few months while the fan was in operation. This is our fourth Casablanca Fan, and we experienced a little break in odor but never more than an hour or two. We find out the cause of the smell and the failure point of the fan…
This ribbon wire had been touching a large resistor and had a very slow short and burn through. Searching for parts is tough for this brand, they keep a tight grip on their authorized vendors. We found this site, tracked down a part number and emailed to find the cost of a replacement. $110 without shipping and handling. That is a lot to stomach, so a search was on to fix the ribbon for less.
We really love Amazon. A quick query turned up this conductive epoxy, so we could affix a new wire as a bridge without burning the ribbon with a soldier iron. Two pairs of Vice Grips lightly held the new wire in place for the long 24 hour cure time of the epoxy.
Ready to go back together! A piece of electrical tape was used to cover the ribbon and prevent any further contact issues inside the fan assembly.
We left the fan resting on the blade assembly, which in turn tweaked the rubber flywheel 🙁 A few days with some wooden shims to pry it in the opposite direction fixed the issue. We are back in business, with an operational fan for under $10 and a week of down time.