Buying your first home can be an exciting & yet scary decision. Everything from picking the right home to conducting the proper inspections to locking down the financing. There are many moving parts in the process of buying your first home.
It’s essential to do your research. You know that. But what’s even more essential to taking the real estate plunge is picking the right agent to help.
Do you know the average agent sells 4 homes a year?
Yup, not really enough to be an industry expert. So, what should you do?
Here’s a list of 5 questions you should ask an agent before hiring them.
1. How many homes have you sold in the last 6 months? This is a key question. A successful full time agent should be selling & listing 1-2 homes a month.
2. What area do you normally work? Real Estate is a local business. It’s important to have an agent that’s familiar with not only the area but the neighborhoods. Plus, an agent that specializes in a certain area will know the all about the community which is always helpful when you’re moving from out of town.
3. How often will we be communicating? Communication is everything especially when you open escrow. Strict time lines & contingencies make it crucial to stay on the same page but its not always convenient to talk on the phone. Email & text are an easy & simple to stay connected.
4. When was the last time you negotiated & saved your client money? This question is rarely asked but its a good one. If the agent you ask, can’t answer it with confidence, that should be a sign to talk with another agent.
5. Do you have a list of people that recommend your services? The most transparent agents have recommendations from people that have used their services. Video recommendations are awesome & look for reviews on websites like Faceified.
This is just tip of the iceberg. There’s an arsenal of questions that I recommend you ask before hiring an agent or buying your first home.
Wanna know what those are? Of course you do!